Overview Of The Different Types Of Tax Forms

If you plan to file your tax return yourself (on paper) you’ll want to use the simplest form for which you qualify. The rationale behind this is simple- the simpler the form, the less likely you’ll be to make errors. As we’ve noted in the past, tax returns that contain errors can not only delay the processing of your return, they could cost you money (especially if you miss deductions that you were eligible to take advantage of.


According to the IRS, the simplest form is the 1040EZ. A second type of form, the 1040A covers several additional items not addressed by the EZ. Lastly, the IRS notes that Form 1040 should be used when itemizing deductions and reporting more complex investments and other income. Below are a few general guidelines on which form to use, per the IRS website:



Single or Married Filing Joint

Under age 65

No dependents

Interest income is below $400

Income or combined incomes below $50,000



Income or combined incomes below $50,000

Capital gain distributions, but no other capital gains or losses

Only IRA or student loan adjustments to your income

You do NOT itemize deductions



Income or combined incomes over $50,000

Itemized Deductions

Self-employment income

Income from sale of property


If you cannot use Form 1040EZ or Form 1040A, you probably need a Form 1040.

You can use the 1040 to report all types of income, deductions, and credits. You

may have received a Form 1040A or 1040EZ in the mail because of the return

you filed last year. If your situation has changed this year, it may be to your

advantage to file a Form 1040 instead. For example, you may pay less tax by

filing a Form 1040 because you have enough deductions to itemize this year.


Remember- choosing the right form can not only help ensure you get a larger tax return, it can also help ensure you don’t make accidental mistakes.


Do you need help filing your 2022 taxes and you’re concerned about completing the return yourself? We can help. The experts at Hughes, Snell & Co., PA have years of experience in helping people just like you navigate situations just like this.  For more information on how we can help you file your 2022 return, or to schedule a time to meet with one of our licensed tax professionals, call our office today to get started.